Berry Spinach Salad
- 10 oz organic baby spinach
- 1 pint organic strawberries, cleaned and sliced
- 2 tart granny smith apples, corded and sliced
- 2 fine slices of red onion, touch chopped
- 1 cup walnuts caramelized
- 4 oz crumbled goat cheese
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp raspberries can use red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
- Wash organic spinach and dry completely. Toss with strawberries, apples, onion, walnut and 1/2 of the goat cheese. Drizzle with enough dressing to join moisten; toss again. Add remaining cheese. Serve relatively soon after putting this salad together to keep the fruit and spinach crisp and fresh.
- Dressing: use a wooden spoon, push raspberries through a strainer to puree. In a medium bowl, whisk together 2 tbsp. raspberry puree, lemon juice, vinegar and sugar. In a slow, but steady stream, whisk in olive oil, until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper. Can be made in a day advanced.
- Caramelized walnuts: OPTIONAL- add one cup of walnuts to a sauce pan over low heat. Add 1/2 teaspoon of sugar. Stir walnuts and sugar frequently until the granulated sugar is caramelized on walnuts. Watch carefully, the sugar can burn quickly! This takes about 1-2 minutes.